Book 1: The Four Things That Matter Most
I recently wrote about the concepts found in this book (article) while only knowing a little about them and mentioned in the footnote that I intended to read the book when I could. Thanks to the Smith Center Public Library (CKLS), I recently read this book after they secured an interlibrary loan from another library.
While this is not a “Christian” book per se, it gives instructions in how to maintain relationships that encourages openness, honesty, and closeness, particularly in the area of forgiving people, including ourselves. (Please read the previous article for clarity.) This is not for the faint of heart as it will require a great deal from those willing to take the challenge of living with forgiveness as a priority.
While the book focuses on people who are in the final stages of their life in this present reality, due to the nature of the author’s field of occupation, the author is quick to point out that the principles found in this book can be used at any time in a person’s life to promote healing of broken relationships. Consider the following.
For myself, I’ve decided that by continuing to practice the Four Things, my relationships will, hopefully, grow stronger and more loving. If I can become the change I wish to see, my friends and family may take notice and respond in kind. And maybe, by earnestly practicing forgiveness, gratitude, and love now, I’ll be adept before it’s time to say my last good-bye.
I read the @2004 edition of the book but there is an updated 10th Anniversary edition now.
Book 2: Releasing the Power of the Smaller Church
While this book was intended to be a compilation of essays that apply to smaller churches (those with an average worship attendance of 200 or less), which the vast majority of churches are in the United States and other parts of the world, it will provide valuable insights to anyone who is in or is interested in a leadership position in a local church, paid or volunteer. Below are the chapters of the book.
- The Power of the Smaller Church
- Personal Growth: The Leader’s Walk With God
- Preaching and Teaching: Finding Time, Staying Fresh
- Life At Home: Prese3rving and Protecting the Leader’s Family Life
- Elder and Other Leaders: Building Positive Relationships for Effective Decision Making
- Team Ministry: Organizing for Effective Service
- Conflict Management: Maintaining Unity Through Prevention, Intervention, and Resolution
- Sunday Schools and Small Groups: Teaching God’s Word with Purpose
- Men’s Ministries: Reaching, Teaching, and Mentoring Men
- Women’s Ministries: Reaching, Teaching, and Mentoring Women
- Connecting Points: Media, Public Relations, and the Church’s Image in the Community
- Buildings and Building Programs: Make Your Presence Known
- Encouraging Words for Smaller Churches
One quote that I’ll share is from chapter 11 on media and public relations.
Again, everything we do as Christians is media, good or bad!
James – Outline and Word List
I’ve recently finished an outline and word list for the book of James.
An outline for the book of James
|Category:||Outlines & Word Lists|
|Date:||December 28, 2015|